It was Friday night. Katie and I had both had long weeks, so we decided that instead of cooking, that we would relax and pick up a 6 pack of beer and order takeout. I was actually looking forward to the break in the kitchen for once. Craving Thai food, we ordered a combo from one of our go-to take out places in Ottawa. After almost 3 hours of waiting patiently, and multiple phone calls to check up on our order, we finally gave up at 9:30PM and went down the street to our favourite pizza place, House of Georgie, for a quick slice. Those guys never let us down.
The next day, the craving for Thai food was still there. I promised Katie that I would make a feast myself. I made my way to Kowloon Market in Ottawa’s Chinatown district to get the necessary ingredients for my planned menu: Coconut Crusted Shrimp, Chicken Pad Thai, and Katie’s favourite – Thai Red Curry Chicken.
Thai Red Curry Chicken
1 large chicken breast, cut into thin slice
400ml can of coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks lemon grass, minced
1 red pepper, cut into slices
1 white onion, cut into slices
3 kaffir lime leaves, minced
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
Thai basil for garnish
Steamed Jasmine rice for serving
- Heat coconut oil in a large deep saucepan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass, and saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, and stir well consistently for 4-5 minutes, making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add coconut milk, and whisk thoroughly with curry paste to combine.
- Add chicken, red pepper and onion, and mix well. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice according to the directions
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar to the Thai Red Curry Chicken dish and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes. The dish should be fragrant, deep red in colour, and nice and soupy.
Serve the Thai Red Curry Chicken over a bed of cooked jasmine rice and garnish with Thai basil.